CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 25, 2008

And the Oscar goes to . . . . .

. . . Google Maps!!!

Today's assignment was to select and explore any site/tool from the list of Web 2.0 winners and blog about it. I decided to learn more about Google Maps, the first place winner (in the category of "Mapping") in SEOmoz's Web 2.0 Awards.

Google Maps is AWESOME!!! I began by typing in my home address and sure enough, within seconds it not only came up with an overhead grid view of my street and the surrounding neighborhood, but also displayed a dialog box which showed a thumbnail of "my house." (Note: Google's picture was actually a couple houses off from my actual house. But still, that isn't bad when you consider what a monumental feat they've accomplished!)

Users are given the option of seeing a location's street view, the traffic conditions, street maps, satellite imagery, as well as the street maps combined with the terrain (a topographical map.) Street view is very cool, very addicting, and only slightly creepy (this could be a stalker's dream.) The satellite imagery looks like the views an individual would see were they to use Google Earth. The traffic conditions tab allows users to see what traffic conditions are like on particular roads at various times of the day. (Note to self - never drive southbound on I-15 in the Farmington area on Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. Traffic appears to be at a standstill.)

I tried the "get directions" feature and was very impressed. I love it!!! Prior to this I've used Map Quest (which is great too), but I think from now on I'm a Google Maps man. As with Map Quest it gives the user a map as well as detailed directions. It shows the total distance as well as approximate travel time. There's an option which allows the user to avoid highways (it will map out an alternate route using only side streets.) The user can drag the cursor over the map and actually customize/change their route. Google Maps also allows the user to send the directions via email, get reverse directions, and most importantly, print the directions. The printed page includes the detailed directions, map overview, start and end maps, as well as the start and end address, and the total distance and travel time.

This is an extremely useful tool. It will benefit me both in a professional setting as well as in my personal life. Thank you so much Google. And well done! Well done.

0 comments: